Capetown Student Accomodation

Damp in Student Houses: What You Should Know

We all know that slightly musty smell that seems to permeate through a house. It is tricky to deal with and makes our clothes and rooms smell somewhat less than fresh.

Unfortunately, damp can occur in almost all houses. Surely there has to be a way to prevent it, right? And what happens if you do come across dampness in student houses?

Let’s take a look.

Why is Damp a Bad Thing?

For starters, damp in student houses is how mould occurs. Having mould in your house opens up a whole new can of worms, such as health issues and damage to property. Health problems can take the form of respiratory infections, allergic reactions and could trigger asthma attacks.

Damp could also get into clothing and furniture which may permanently ruin it. It also provides a breeding ground for all sorts of critters that we really don’t want to share our space with

So, we know that we don’t want damp in our house, let’s see how we can prevent it.

How to Prevent Damp

Before moving into any house, doing a quick check to see if there is any visible mould or dampness is important. That way, if you come across anything, you can report it to the landlord before moving in to get the problem sorted as soon as possible.

Damp in student houses is most commonly caused by condensation. The spaces are usually on the small side and are closed up during the day while you’re out and about. Therefore, keeping the bathroom door closed when showering or bathing, and putting a lid over boiling pots will go a long way to prevent damp and mould.

Likewise, if you can, rather hang your laundry outside instead of indoors. That fresh laundry smell can quickly turn into a mouldy, damp smell if your clothing takes a while to dry.

What if you’ve already found mould in your house, what do you do now?

There’s Mould, Now What?

If you have discovered mould in your home, you need to act quickly to ensure that it doesn’t spread more than it already has. If there’s only a small amount of mould, then you could probably just get rid of it by yourself using either soapy water or mould cleaner – making sure that you wear a mask so that you don’t inhale any spores.

However, if there is a large amount of mould, speaking to your landlord about getting a professional involved might very well be the best option. They can do a thorough check for areas of dampness in other parts of the property so that you won’t have any mould issues for a while.

There’s no doubt that damp in student houses is bad for you. But you can prevent and get rid of it.

Perhaps now is the right time to double-check that you don’t have any mould in your house and maintain a fresh, clean student room.